Saturday, December 19, 2009

3x23 - Uptight (Oliver's Alright)

Miley comes racing down the stairwell in the schoolyard towards Lily at the bottom.

MILEY
Lily! Lily! OK, guess who is crushing big time?

LILY
Oh, Miley, not again, even Jeff Gordon makes a pit stop every once in a while!

MILEY
I am not talking about me!

They walk over to a lunch table.

MILEY
Although, tall, dark and yummy over there is definitely on my radar!

Miley stares over at a boy sitting at the next table. Lily clicks to get Miley's attention.

LILY
Miley!

MILEY
Right! Anyhow, I'm talking about Oliver. He is in love.

LILY
Are you sure? I was just in the girls bathroom and there was nobody sobbing (whining) why me! Why me!

MILEY
I'm sure. I just saw him upstairs and he was totally distracted and "spacey".

Oliver begins to walk down the stairwell and suddenly trips over, falling down the stairs cowering.

LILY
Guess you're right. That's love. Painful, painful love.

Oliver gets himself up off the ground.

OLIVER
Hey, how's it going? Nice gigs. Timm-y!

Miley and Lily walk over to him.

LILY
Spill it Oliver, who is she?

OLIVER
Who's who?

MILEY
The girl who you're falling for... (pause) all the way down the stairs!

OLIVER
There's no girl.

LILY
Oh, really. Then how do you explain this box of chocolates?

She waves the box of chocolates from Oliver's bag around.

OLIVER
Alright ... fine ... they're for a girl.

LILY
What's her name?

OLIVER
Guys she's not even in our grade, (snatches box of chocolates from Lily) you don't even know her.

The three of them walk over and take a seat at the table again.

LILY
(teasing) Come on, you know you want to tell us.

MILEY
Yea-h! (pokes Oliver repetitively) come on, come on! Come on, come on!

LILY
Tell us, tell us! Tell us, tell us!

MILEY
Come on!

LILY
Tell us!

MILEY
Come on!

LILY
Tell us!

Oliver jumps up from his seat and takes his bag.

OLIVER (Defensively)
Come on guys, just leave me alone! OK!

Oliver walks away and Lily and Miley sit closer together, impersonating a cat's miow.

LILY / MILEY
Ra-aw!

MILEY
I've never seen him like this.

LILY
I know. Maybe we should just respect his privacy.

MILEY
Yeah. (pause) Although, if we respect it to long, we'll loose his trail. Come on!

The two of them jump off their chairs and follow Oliver's trail.

***

Oliver is walking along the corridor with the box of chocolates in his hand making sure no one can see him. He slowly opens the door to the Nurse's station as Miley and Lily reach the entrance to the hall.

MILEY
Oh!

They suddenly hear the nurse's voice coming from the station.

***

In the Nurse's station, the Nurse is cradling the box of chocolates from Oliver.

NURSE
Oh, thank-you Oliver.

Miley and Lily walk over closer and peer in the window.

OLIVER
The ones with the little squigglies on top are the best.

The nurse pats them across her heart, Miley and Lily watching in disgrace. As Oliver walks out, Lily and Miley run over to the notice board.

MILEY
I'm going to take A.P. English.

LILY
I think I'll take A.P. Water Polo.

Oliver gives them a quick glance but then, shrugging, walks off down the corridor. They jump to attention.

MILEY (Flared)
Good night, nurse! Oliver is crushing on someone old enough to remember the Beatles!

LILY (Baffled)
The who?

MILEY
You to!

***

OPENING CREDITS

starring MILEY CYRUS

EMILY OSMENT

MITCHELL MUSSO

JASON EARLES

MOISES ARIAS

and BILLY RAY CYRUS

"HANNAH MONTANA"

***

At the school, Miley and Lily are still standing in the corridor, only this time, people are walking through.

LILY
Well he did say she wasn't in our grade!

MILEY
Not in our grade? She ain't in our generation!

LILY
Oh, hey...that's a good one! I can't wait to use that one on him!

Lily starts to head for Oliver, but Miley stops her.

MILEY
No! You can't! Remember in seventh grade when you had a crush on Mr. Hugano, the french teacher?

LILY
Vaguely.

MILEY
Please! You wore a beret and said "we-we" so much, people started calling you Tinkle Truscott.

LILY
OK, fine! But people made fun of me, I got over it, and now nobody even remembers!

Amber and Ashley walk over to them.

ASHLEY (To Lily)
Hey, Tinkle! We've got same stale french fries here! (holds them up)

AMBER
And you know how you like things old and french!

AMBER / ASHLEY
Oolala, Tss.

They walk off.

LILY (Shouts after them)
That was two years ago!

MILEY
(calling after them) Yeah! She's had a ton of boyfriends since then! OK fine, two... Lucas cheated on her, but that doesn't really count! And the other one she took to court but if she ...

LILY
Stop helping me! (lowers voice) I get it. I can't make fun of Oliver. For this. Everything else is fair game, right?

MILEY
Of course. Now we've just gotta' protect him from the trash talking twins.

LILY
How?

MILEY
Simple. We get him nursing on a new crush, not crushing on an old nurse.

LILY
One other good one I can't use. (sighs)

MILEY
Come on...

***

At the Stewart Household, Robby is on the phone to his mother.

ROBBY
Mom, you may want to sit down for this one. Jackson, you're grandson, got a 'B'. (Holds up paper)

We hear loud screaming from the intercom inserted on the phone.

ROBBY
Told you, you may want to sit down. Yep, and it's all because of this new girlfriend he's got. Tell you what, she is as smart as a whip, and you ain't gonna' believe what an influence she's been on him. (Jackson and his girlfriend walk in) Hey, here they come, I gotta' go, if you can't get up, call me back. (The two teens walk over to him) There they are! My B boy and his A plus lady!

JACKSON
Dad!

ALLISON
Hi Mr. Stewart.

ROBBY
Little lady, from now on, you can just call me Happy Pappy.

JACKSON
He's not really my Dad. I was left on his doorstep. By a wizard. (gestures wizard top hat)

ROBBY
Oh son, come on now, I didn't mean to embarrass you, but look at this! (walks over to fridge) You made the refrigerator! (he begins to cry) I'm sorry, I just got a little dust in my eye, that's all.

ALLISON (To Jackson)
Wow. What'll he do when he finds out about your A on the history quiz?

JACKSON
That's a risk I can't take!

Jackson chews up a piece of paper in his hands and keeps it in his mouth.

ROBBY
(still crying) OK. I'm just gonna' go for a jog now and leave you two to your - "studying". I'm sorry. More dust!

He runs out the door.

***

While Jackson is upstairs, Allison is sitting on the couch as her phone rings.

ALLISON
Hey Monica! Yeah, we're studying for the Chem test. I dunno, he's cute, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Robby is standing at the doorway behind the piano listening in on her conversation, and his mouth falls open.

ALLISON
I was going to break up with him today.

Robby holds up his hands to gesture a prevention.

ALLISON
But I just can't.

Robby pulls his arms downs in a victory gesture.

ALLISON
I'll wait until after the test tomorrow.

Robby begins to mime sobbing as Jackson comes over to him from upstairs.

JACKSON
Pull it together old man! It's not like it's the last B I'll ever get!

ROBBY
Wanna' bet?

Shrugging, Jackson walks back down to the couch.

***

In the schoolyard, Miley and Lily are looking around the tables for girls that would match with Oliver.

LILY
OK, who's the lucky lady who's going to break the "nurse curse"? Hey, what about Stephanie, she's cute!

MILEY
And on last year's field trip she sat in front of Oliver ...

LILY
Oh yeah. He scarfed down three hot dogs before they got on the bus ...

MILEY
And she was wearing them when they got off!

They walk over in the other direction.

LILY
No problem, argh...I'm sure there's plenty of girls for Oliver.

MILEY
Yeah, well let's see ... (as they walk past tables of girls, they point at them) tricked her, sat on her lunch ... spilled on ... spilled on ... (grunts) and poor Pamela ... the only survivor of the Oiken natural gas disaster of 2006.

LILY
This may be harder than we thought.

The nurse comes down the stairwell.

MILEY
Oh no, there she is. Sweet old lady doesn't suspect a thing!

Oliver comes racing down the stairs behind her.

MILEY
Lover boy's at it again, let's go!

As Oliver turns the corner, followed by Miley and Lily, he places a note under the Nurse's door.

***

The nurse in her office is reading the note from Oliver as Miley and Lily walk in.

NURSE
Oh, hey guys, what's up? Miley, did you get hit by a football again?

MILEY
No .

NURSE
Soccer ball?

MILEY
No.

NURSE
Boomerang?

MILEY
No, I'm fine! This isn't about me.

LILY
It's about Oliver, and you, and the chocolates, and that note.

NURSE
So you know?

MILEY (Nods)
Yeah.

NURSE (Relieved)
Oh, I am so glad he told you.

LILY
You are?

NURSE
Absolutely! He wanted this to be our ... (closes blinds on door)/i> our little secret. But I told him it was nothing to be ashamed of.

MILEY (Surprised)
You did?

NURSE
Of course! Oliver didn't ask for this to happen, I mean ... none of us ever do. But when it does you can either run away from it or you can embrace it!

LILY (Shocked)
And you want him to embrace it?

NURSE
Oh, I begged him to and now that he has ... I couldn't be happier!

MILEY
You're kidding me, right!

NURSE
Why would I kid about Oliver having diabetes?

LILY / MILEY (Astounded)
What?

***

Miley and Lily are still standing shocked.

LILY
Oliver has diabetes?

NURSE
Of course, what did you think I was talking about?

MILEY
(Refluxing) Diabetes! Oliver ... has diabetes! She meant to say it with the period, but she said it with a question mark by mistake. Right, Lily?

LILY
Argh ... oh yeah. (speaks in up and down tone) It's a teenage girl thing.

MILEY
We all do it.

LILY
My mum hates it.

NURSE
Wait a minute, you didn't think that Oliver had a ...

MILEY / LILY
No!

NURSE
Because I would never ...

MILEY / LILY
Of course not!

NURSE
Me and Oliver?

MILEY / LILY
We know.

MILEY
I mean, let's face it. You still have a couple of good years left, you could do a lot better.

NURSE
Gee, thanks. (walks back to desk)

LILY
Poor Oliver.

MILEY
I know. I just wanna' give him a big hug.

LILY
Oh, this is why he gave her the chocolates. So he wouldn't eat them. When you have diabetes you're not supposed to have a lot of sugar.

NURSE
Wait a minute, you guys didn't know, did you?

They put on a fake grin and point back at her, thinking of an excuse, but have nothing. They turn away shamefully.

LILY / MILEY
Uh-argh.

NURSE
Oh boy. (sits down) OK, listen, you can live a very full life with diabetes, but this is all still very new to Oliver and he's struggling with it. So please, let him tell you, OK?

LILY
But, what if he doesn't?

MILEY
Yeah - we're his friends, I mean, we wanna' help him.

NURSE
You're just going to have to be patient, OK?

MILEY
OK. We can do that.

***

Miley and Lily are leaning up against their lockers in boredom. They bang their heads across the lockers impatiently.

MILEY
We can't do this!
***
Miley is sitting at the kitchen table with her dad reading over something on her laptop.

MILEY
It says here that Oliver's body just doesn't process sugar the way it's supposed to. But if he takes his insulin and doesn't eat to many sweets, he can lead a normal life. (she takes out an ice cream sundae from her knee and digs into it) I don't know why he is so afraid to tell us. (through a mouthful) I could totally help him stay away from sugar.

ROBBY
I agree. You are quite the little robot.

MILEY
That's not the point. I mean, he's gotta' tell us eventually. What's he waiting for?

ROBBY
I can't imagine. It's not like you didn't tell him you were Hannah Montana right off the back. I mean, you didn't keep him waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting ...

MILEY
I got the point Captain Subtle!

ROBBY
Hey, I got a great idea, why don't you take him to Traci's party tonight? Hang out, have fun, get his mind off things.

MILEY
... that's actually a good idea!

ROBBY
(Walks to fridge) I do have those on occasion, you know. It's not like I'm one of those doopy TV dads!

MILEY
You keep telling that yourself, big fella.

As Miley walks away, Robby looks over at Jackson's quiz paper marked with B.

ROBBY
Oh ... my little B boy! I hardly knew you!

Jackson and Allison walk in.

JACKSON
OK ... so what do you call a pig who knows karate? A pork chop! Ha-ya!

ROBBY
Jackson! Allison! You're here! Together, that's great!

Robby embraces them with his arms.

ROBBY
You are a b-eautiful couple!

JACKSON
Don't worry, he always gets like this just before nappy time, huh? I'll be right back.

Jackson takes Robby aside into the kitchen.

JACKSON
Don't blow this for me! She said she wants to "talk" and I think we both know what that means.

ROBBY
Well, one of us does.

JACKSON
I don't have time for you words old man, so just go!

Jackson ushers Robby upstairs.

JACKSON
Go, go, go!

As Robby goes off, Jackson comes back downstairs with an attractive look on his face. Allison looks away as he puts some breath spray on - but accidently sprays it the wrong way. He corrects himself and "dances" over to the couch where Allison is waiting in anxiety.

JACKSON
Aye, aye, aye, aye! (Allison glares over at him) I ... I am just dancing over to you because I can't wait to talk. (jumps on couch and pops lips) ready when you are.

ALLISON
Actually, I really did want to talk.

JACKSON (Taken aback)
Really? OK, well I guess we could, you know, start with that...

ALLISON
Listen, Jackson....

Robby suddenly comes down the stairs and crouches down in between Allison and Jackson.

ROBBY
Hey, uh, before I take my nap I just wanted to say to you that you are the best girlfriend Jackson has ever had. Ever...he's had a lot, I can't keep the ladies off of this one.

JACKSON
Dad, we're trying to have a little conversation here...

ROBBY
Conversation? Oh, you don't want to do that. Talking is the quickest way to ruin a relationship! (he comes and joins them on the couch) Hey, let me ask you, have you kissed him yet?

Jackson and Allison stare at him.

ROBBY
All the ladies say he's got lips like butter.

JACKSON
Dad!

ROBBY
Oh, son, don't be modest. You know, Stewart men only get better looking with age. (he beckons himself) Exhibit A.

JACKSON
(To Allison) Would you excuse us?

He and Robby walk off.

ROBBY
(as they walk off) Did I happen to mention he's going to inherit a lot of money?

JACKSON
What are you doing?

ROBBY
I'm trying to get you into college!

JACKSON
How? By humiliating me?

ROBBY
By saving this relationship.

Allison looks over.

ROBBY
I heard her on the phone yesterday, she's gonna' break up with you.

JACKSON
What?

ROBBY
Sorry, son.

Jackson turns back to Allison.

JACKSON
Is that true? You want to break up with me?

ALLISON
(long pause, relieved) Yeah! I didn't know exactly how to say it. Thank-you so much Mr. Stewart. (rises) Wow! That was easier than I thought!

She walks out.

***

Robby is sitting on the couch in tears, Jackson comforting him.

ROBBY
It's just so unfair! I did everything I could! What more did she want?

JACKSON
Look, these things happen.

ROBBY
How could you be so OK with this?

JACKSON
Well - I just found out that I'm gonna' inherit a ton of money! (pauses) And get even better looking! And you said I needed college! Yeah, wow!

He runs off wildly upstairs.

***

Hannah, Mike and Lola come through the bushes towards the entrance to Traci's party.

HANNAH
Oh, come on guys, it'll be fun!

MIKE
Guys, I don't know, man...I got a ton of homework, maybe I should just go home...

LOLA
Oliver, OK...you are not thinking clearly, OK. This is Traci's sweet 16! There's gonna' be a ton of sweet 16's...if you know what I mean.

MIKE
What do you mean?

HANNAH
There'll be a lot of cute girls! Pretty girls...oh, and better yet, girls that haven't really formed an opinion yet.

LOLA
Oh, and you know sometimes...it's good to take a break from things like, you know, homework, or stuff that may be weighing heavily on your mind.

HANNAH
Or lightly...you know, stuff that seams heavy now, but with time, and the support of your great friends...

LOLA
And a well-balanced diet.

HANNAH
...life can be a wonderful thing.

LOLA
A wonderful, wonderful thing!

MIKE
OK...I'm thinking your wigs are on a little too tight.
..(goes to walk off; Hannah pulls him back)

HANNAH
And you are right. See, we need you. We are not stable. Come on, let's go have fun.


Lola and Hannah push Mike into the party...only to regret doing so when they find that the party is "sweet" based, with tables and tables of candy...

MIKE
(as some girls walk past) Oh, my gosh, look at all of the cupcakes...

HANNAH
Aargh, yeah...you really should get that homework done, it's not going to do itself mister, let's go!


They go to charge out, but Traci runs over...

TRACI
Hannah! Welcome to my sweet sixteen...emphasis on the "sweet".

HANNAH
Yep, everything looks great here, happy b'day, air kiss, 'gotta go, bye!
(hauls Traci's present at her)

TRACI
Wait, you just got here! Let's split the difference. Chiai, Lola
. (Lola mocks her)

HANNAH
Oh, no, see we've all gotta' get out of here, I have a headache, he's got homework to do, and she just can't stand you.


MIKE
You know, OK...it can wait, it can wait. You know, like you said, life can be a wonderful, wonderful thing..
.(spots some cute girls)...hello there, wonderful thing...(walks over to them)

TRACI
So, it's settled, you're staying!
(to Lola) And seriously, I have a driver if you need a ride home.

LOLA
(impersonating Traci's voice) And seriously, um...nobody here really thinks your sixteen. (Traci looks around anxiously; Lola waves her off)

HANNAH
Yeah...bring him along, it'll be fun...thanks a lot, dad!!

LOLA
What are we supposed to do now?

HANNAH
Why does it always have to be me? Don't you have an idea, a suggestion...something to get the ball rolling...

LOLA
Jeesh! What do you want me to do, eat every cupcake, cookie and brownie before he does?

HANNAH
Finally, something useful!

Hannah and Lola high-five, as Hannah runs off. Lola does a little dance to herself.

LOLA
Yeah! I have a good idea, yes I do...
(Traci walks over)

TRACI
Getting a pet rat, so at least you'll look good next to something?


LOLA
Yeah, what size collar do you wear?
(they growl at each other; and go off in opposite directions)

***

Mike is standing talking to a girl as a waiter comes with a tray of cupcakes.

MIKE
Oh, sweet things everywhere I look, and I mean everywhere..
.(grabs off two cupcakes)...here you go...

Hannah and Lola come over and take the cupcakes and stuff into them (they under the assumption Mike was going to eat them himself)

LOLA
(she and Hannah make indistinct murmurs) Oh, he's such a gentleman...

MIKE
What are you guys doing?

HANNAH
(through a mouthful)
I'm just hungry...(walks off)

LOLA
(through a mouthful)
Really, really hungry...(follows Hannah; then runs back and takes the tray of cupcakes from the waiter)

***

MIKE
(to some girls) So, I said to her Beyonce, in my book...you're A-eyonce! Hahaha, right...

Mike is chewing on a large string of red liquorice, and finds Hannah pulling at the bottom of it, trying to get it away from him.

MIKE
What are you doing?

HANNAH
I love liquorice!

MIKE
Well go get your own!

HANNAH
There's no more!

MIKE
She's got a whole tray over there...


They look over and see that Lola has taken the whole tray of liquorice from the waiter.

LOLA
Little late for (???). Can't have just one!


HANNAH
Let's go!

Lola and Hannah run off with the liquorice.

MIKE
(to the girls) Celebrities…they think they're entitled to everything!

***

A little while later, Hannah and Lola are at one of the candy tables stuffing their clothes with the candy and goods, and getting them out of Oliver's reach. They sit down, stuffed, as Traci runs after a group of people leaving the party...

TRACI
Wait! I don't know where all the food went, I...I got enough to feed a whale!

LOLA
...or two.


HANNAH
Well, the good news is, we saved Oliver from all that..
.(mimes a vomit) ...I never thought I'd hate the taste of a brownie.

LOLA
Hey, where is Oliver anyway, I can't see him...

HANNAH
I can't see my belt!


Mike comes running out from the bush.

MIKE
Hey, where did everybody go?


HANNAH
(drained) Party's...

LOLA
(also drained) ...over...boo 'ya...

MIKE
Hey, you know...I never even got anything to eat.
(a wrapper blows off the cupcake stand to reveal there is one left, he approaches it...) Oh, finally...

HANNAH / LOLA
NOOO!


They get up from their seats and jump on top of Oliver, to stop him from getting to the cupcake.

MIKE
What is wrong with you guys?

LOLA
We, urgh...we really like cupcakes.


HANNAH
And we know about your diabetes.
(they stand)

LOLA
Yeah, the school nurse told us...and we couldn't just stand by and let you eat that cupcake.


HANNAH
(gesturing around her shirt)
Or this cupcake, or this cupcake, or this cupcake...(takes a pie base from her shirt)...or, this pie...

MIKE
You guys think I can't eat this stuff because I have diabetes?

HANNAH
Well, yeah...I mean, I think so…see, I didn't get to finish that pamphlet because I got ice cream all over it...

LOLA
(under her breath) Don't say ice cream in front of him!

HANNAH
...sorry...

MIKE
Guys, I have type one diabetes, which means I can have stuff with sugar in it...so long as I manage my diet, and monitor my blood sugar with this
. (takes out a device from his pocket; and beeps it) You know actually, according to this, my blood sugar's low, which means I actually need something, urgh...like a brownie...if there were any left.

LOLA
Oh, wait, wait...
(pulls out a brownie from her shirt) ...kept that warm for you.

MIKE
OK...thanks...
(takes the brownie reluctantly)

HANNAH
Look, Oliver, I'm sorry, but...why didn't you tell us?

MIKE
I 'dunno...you know, I didn't want you guys to look at me like I was broken. Because I'm not.

HANNAH
Well, we would've known that, if you had of told us.

MIKE
Yeah, I know, and I should have.

HANNAH
Yeah, and I guess I should have read all that pamphlet before we became the "food police".
(she and Lola tap their stomachs)

MIKE
(takes a bite of his brownie) Mmm...it's chocolatey, and…it's got like a hint of, urgh...pineapple...

LOLA
(looks embarrassed) Urgh...that's my tropical mist deodorant.

MIKE
Maybe we should just, argh, stop by a (???) on the way home...


HANNAH
Good idea.


Arm in arm, the three of them walk off...

***

Hannah, Lola and Mike are sitting on Miley's couch in the Stewarts' living room...talking to the camera, as their real selves.

MIKE
Tonight we learned a lot of important things.

HANNAH
Yeah, I learned that forty kids get diagnosed with type one diabetes every day.

LOLA
Yeah, and I learned you can't get it from eating too many sweets.

MIKE
And I learned, if you take your insulin appropriately, exercise and eat a balanced diet, you can do anything and be anything you want to be.


Jackson comes running down from upstairs.

JACKSON
And I learnt that someday, I'm gonna' be good looking, and...I'm gonna' inherit a lot of money
! (laughs spitefully at Hannah)

HANNAH
And I learned that my brother's really annoying...oh wait, I already knew that!


Hannah and Jackson start 'mocking' each other in their normal way, before they all look at the camera one last time and smile...

LEARN MORE (ON DIABETES TYPE 1)…JDRF.org

***

Hannah Montana © Walt Disney. No infringement intended.

No comments: