Saturday, March 6, 2010

3x26 - Come Fail Away

Hannah is in the animation studio booth with Lola. She's standing up against a poster of a cartoon duck.

HANNAH
Huh? Huh? What do you think? Am I gonna make a great Dinah the Determined Duck, or what?

LOLA
Yeah, absolutely. Uh, you know - I'm just glad this movie is animated, because, Dinah's not wearing any pants.

HANNAH
Wait a second. If she's not wearing any pants, where I am gonna be putting my lipstick? Oh, girl. If she's going all L-Buffo she's gonna have to have a purse.

LOLA
Yeah and uh, maybe some heels. M-Might make those legs look longer and minimize the big fat duck but.

HANNAH
Do not go dissing Dinah's hiney. On page eighty-six, she hip chicks the evil farmer out of the way with her bodacious b-duck-a-don.

Baz B. Berkley, the director of the film, enters.

BAZ
Here she is, yes! Hannah-baby, absolute thrill to be directing you. Baz B. Berkley. But please, call me Triple B.

HANNAH
Thank you for having me here, Triple B. Or should I say (stammering) buh-buh-buh.

BAZ
Okay. I've heard that a million times, but because it's you, I'm gonna laugh. (laughs; then takes Hannah aside) By the way, is the uh...purple pixie really here or am I just over tired?

Lola waves over at them.

HANNAH
Oh no, that's my best friend Lola.

Lola runs over and shakes Baz's hand.

LOLA
H-hi. I'm a big fan of your movies. Over the Ledge, and Jolt, oh, I-I just love you.

BAZ
Well of course you do. Look at you. You're a walking cartoon. (Lola looks down) Don't frown, I'm saying that with love, okay? Okay. (to Hannah) So, wanna' meet your co-stars?

HANNAH
Absolutely.

BAZ
Great. (calling out) Come on in!

A handsome young man enters the room and goes towards the posters of the characters, as he is approached by Baz.

BAZ (CONT'D)
Hannah Montana, I'd like you to meet: Granny Goat, Claude the Crabby Cow, and Frankie the Frantic Field Mouse.

KYLE (old goat voice)
Hello, Hannah. (goes to the poster of the cow) Mooooo! (goes to the poster of the mouse and speaks in a high-pitched tone) I like cheeeessseee! (shakes hands with Hannah in a normal voice) Hi. I'm Kyle McIntyre.

HANNAH
Man. It must get ugly at your house when there's only one cookie left. (laughs)

KYLE
Not really, 'cause (high pitched mouse voice) Frankie likes cheese!

Lola leans down on Hannah.

LOLA (in a hushed tone)
Oi.

Baz walks over.

BAZ
Okay, so we've all met, wonderful. Why don't you say we get this rehearsal started? My little overly-paid barnyard beeties, again -- (clicks at Kyle) -- say that with love.

Hannah clicks at Baz.

HANNAH
Okay.

Lola clicks at Baz. Twice.

BAZ (turning away)
Okay, sit down.

Baz shows them to a seat.

***

Later on, at the reading - Hannah and Kyle are sat up at their microphones.

KYLE (cow voice)
Dinah? Dinah? Where is that miserable duck? (mouse voice) She's climbing to the top of the barn again, she's trying to learn to fly! (goat voice) If she wants to earn some power, tell her to clean out my stall.

HANNAH (encouraging voice)
You can do it, Dinah! You can fly! You can fly!

BAZ
Whoa-whoa-whoa. Hold up, hold up, hold up. Hannah, honey - uhhh...what's with the voice?

HANNAH
Oh, I'm sorry. Was it to emotional? I mean, I don't wanna scare the kids.

BAZ
Exactly. None of us wanna' scare kids, okay? 'Cause then they run to the theatre, I get angry letters from parents, they close my movie down, next thing you know I'm back to directing regional theatre starring He's Still Alive and She Looks Horrible! Phhh. I don't need that!

LOLA (aside to Hannah)
I think one of those three B's is for "boiiing".

BAZ
Okay. What I need, what I want, what the kids want, okay, is a duck that sounds somewhat duck-ish.

HANNAH
Oh, I'm sorry. I mean, when the studio called and offered me the job I thought they wanted a celebrity voice. You know, that sounded somewhat me-ish.

BAZ
Hannah, sweetie. Cookie. If I wanted to have someone sound like you, I'd have Kyle do it. Kyle, do Hannah. (clicks)

And Kyle does exactly that. He breaks into singing The Best of Both Worlds, in an exact sound-alike of Hannah's voice.

KYLE (singing; much like Hannah)
# You get the best of both worlds

Lola shakes in her chair.

LOLA (shocked)
Whoaaa! That was cool.

Hannah looks at Lola, then turns to Kyle.

HANNAH
Not really hearing it. Anywho, you want a duck? I will give you a duck. Lead me in, Kyle.

KYLE
You got it. (goat voice) She wants to earn some power? Tell her to clean out my stall.

However, Hannah's "duck" voice doesn't sound very "duck-ish".

HANNAH (trying to sound like a duck)
You can do it, Dinah! You can fly! You can fly! (sees that Baz is staring at her with a quizzical look on his face) Quack. (he continues looking at her) Quack.

Baz and Kyle both glare at Hannah like they've just seen a ghost. Lola, being the supportive friend, gives her friend an encouraging round-of-applause.

***

OPENING CREDITS

***

Miley is at the mirror near the stairs, practising her duck voice. Robby is in the kitchen watching with his plate of pizza.


MILEY (indistinct duck voice)
Dinah, you can fly! You can fly! (to Robby) How was that?

ROBBY

Kinda' like the garbage disposal with a salad fork in it.


Robby sits down at the table. Miley walks down and joins him.


MILEY

Dang, I stink at this! I mean, the director acted all nice, but I saw that look on his face. You know? The look-the look of disappointment a-and total embarrassment. Kinda' like the look I give Jackson...well, pretty much twenty-four seven.


Miley takes Robby's plate and starts picking at his pizza slice.


ROBBY

Uh, Mile, would you like your own slice of pizza?


MILEY (as she picks the topping from the pizza)

Dad, please. I am way to upset to eat.


ROBBY (sarcastic)

I can see that.


MILEY

What am I gonna' do?


ROBBY

Well, I would say if you just keep working on it, you'll get it.


MILEY (trying to sound like a duck)

Really?


ROBBY

Like I said, you just keep working on it.


Robby gives her a pat on the shoulder and walks off. Miley starts practising again.


MILEY (to herself; trying to sound like a duck)

I'm a duck. (normal voice) I'm a duck! (lost all hope) I'm a dead duck.


Miley's mobile phone rings. She answers it.


MILEY (on the phone)

Hello?


Kyle is on the other end, speaking on his mobile from inside the animation studio. As such, the screen cuts between the two of them correspondingly as the conversation goes.


KYLE

Hey, Hannah. How you doing? It's Kyle. Um, I was calling to see how it was going with the voice?


MILEY (obvious lie)
Oh, my duck is great. My duck is awesome. My duck is...

KYLE (interrupting)
Cooked? Roasted? Stuffed?

MILEY

All of the above.


KYLE

I know exactly how you feel. I had to do the voice of a duck once, so I hired a duck coach.


MILEY

A duck coach?


KYLE

He is amazing. I'll make a call.


Miley's facial expression shows that she is considering the idea.


***


Miley is sitting on the couch looking at a white duck, posed on the couch in front of her.


MILEY (to the duck)

Kyle says you're the best in the business, so, do your stuff.


The duck quakes and flaps its wings. Miley mocks it.


MILEY

Okay, for what I'm paying you, you're gonna have to give me more than that. Go.


The duck quakes. Miley quakes. And again.


MILEY

I'm gonna be needing a discount.


***


Later on, Miley is following the duck around, flapping her hands up in the air as she waddles in some flippers. As Miley follows the duck into the kitchen, Robby comes downstairs holding a empty toilet roll.


ROBBY (calling)
Jackson Rod Stewart! How many times do I have to tell you to replace the...

Robby looks over and sees Miley following the duck around.


ROBBY

Uh, Mile? If this is your way of asking for a puppy, you win.


MILEY (leaning over)

Dad, I'm just trying to find my inner-duck. (walks off then turns back) And I'll take a beagle.


Miley quacks and turns away again.


ROBBY

You really think that'll work?


MILEY

It worked for Kyle. He said before you even think about doing the voice, you really gotta' study the animal. And then when you're in front of the mic, it'll just come right out of you.


Miley continues waddling after the duck.


ROBBY

As long as you clean up anything that comes out of that duck, waddle away.


Miley lies down on the floor, beside the duck, nibbling at a plate of duck food.


ROBBY

Now where's that barnyard animal I call my son?


MILEY (with a mouthful of food)

He's down at the beach.


Robby looks bizarrely at his daughter, and then turns his head up to the heavens.


ROBBY (looking upwards)
One normal child. Is that to much to ask?

Robby reaches into his pocket and gets out his mobile, ready to call Jackson.


***


Meanwhile, Jackson is chatting up a cute blonde girl as they walk down on the beach together.


JACKSON

That's right. I'm a College man.


CHELSEA

Really?


They sit down at a table together.


JACKSON

Yep. Studying at the (accented) university. That's U.N...


But Jackson's forgotten how to spell it. He rolls his eyes up, trying to remember.


JACKSON (finishing the word)

...Iversity. I'm independent, don't answer to anyone. Well, except that cute little diapered angel called Cupid. (points his finger at her) Twing.


Jackson's phone rings. He takes it out of his pocket, checks the caller ID and hangs up, putting it away again.


CHELSEA

Aren't you gonna get that?


JACKSON

No, it's just my...uh, roommate. Robby. Yeah, musician. You know the type. (waves his arm) Little flaky.


***


Robby is standing in the kitchen with the phone at his ears.


ROBBY (to himself)

First he doesn't listen to me, now he won't even pick up the phone. I'm sick of that boy ducking me.


The duck in the kitchen looks up and quacks.


MILEY (to the duck, with a mouthful)

Oh relax, he didn't mean anything by it.


Robby walks off.


***


Back over at the beach, Lilly approaches Rico, who is standing behind the counter. There's a small microphone set up on the bench.


LILLY

Hey Rico, I'll take a water.


RICO

Take a number.


Lilly walks over to a small dispenser set up against the wall.


LILLY (slight laughter)

Take a number? Since when?


RICO

Just take one.


LILLY

Fine. (pulls out a ticket and flashes it at Rico) Hey Rico, I'm number six.


Lilly walks off, just as Rico speaks into the microphone:


RICO (into the microphone)

Number six, your water is ready. Number six.


Lilly walks back over, shrugging with annoyance, as Rico places the water on the bench.


LILLY

Okay, what was the point of that?


RICO

I'm trying to class up the place. (calmly into the microphone) Number four, your veggie burger is ready. (no one walks over) Number four?


Still, no one comes over to collect their order. Rico pauses before he looses his temper:


RICO (shouting into the microphone)

Number four! Get your stinking veggie burger before I spit on it!


A girl walks over and collects her burger when Rico thumps it onto the counter. He shrugs as she walks off with it.


LILLY (sarcastic)

Oh, yeah. Yeah, much classier.


Lilly walks off. Back over at the table, Jackson is still chatting up the girl.


JACKSON

I don't really know what I'm going to do this summer. (showing off) I mean, bicycle through France? You know, maybe surf Costa Rica? It's great being my own man. Because, as I said, I answer to no one.


A familiar voice suddenly is heard roaring from behind the beach.


ROBBY (VO)

Jackson Rod Strewart!


Jackson starts to panic.


JACKSON

Cool sunglasses! Can I try them?


Jackson takes the sunglasses from the girls' hand and puts them on. Robby steps up onto the beach and looks around for Jackson.


ROBBY (calling)

Jackson?


JACKSON

And uh, maybe your hat.


Jackson takes the orange flower hat from the girls' head and puts it on.


CHELSEA

What are you doing?


JACKSON

Having fun, being my own man. (girly voice) Let's talk like girls. Come on.


Jackson leads her up away from the approaching Robby.


JACKSON (girl voice)

Oh, those shoes are so nice, where'd you get them? They're so cute.


ROBBY

Excuse me, ladies?


JACKSON (girl voice)

Not interested. Taken.


ROBBY

Uh, Jacksonina, could I have a word with you for a second please?


Jackson turns to Robby with Chelsea.


JACKSON (resumes normal voice)

Hey, Robby. Robbo. Rob-bob-bing-bang-boom-o.


Jackson stars poking Robby with a charming smile. Robby returns it with a confused glare.


JACKSON (to Chelsea)

That's my roommate. (taking her aside) Probably needs to borrow some money. Yeah, why don't you go ahead and wait over there? I don't wanna' embarrass him.


Chelsea walks back over to the table. Jackson turns to Robby.


JACKSON (under his breath)

Like he's embarrassing me!


Robby takes a seat at the counter.


ROBBY

Oh, yeah. Said the guy in floppy sunflower hat with the girly glasses.


Jackson takes the girly accessories off and places them on the counter.


JACKSON

What do you want, dad? I mean, I'm right in the middle of something important here.


ROBBY (holds up the empty toilet roll)

So was I. And now thanks to you, we're out of cotton balls. You've gotta' start answering your phone when I call you.


JACKSON

I'm sorry, dad. But at my age, it's a little embarrassing when "daddy" keeps calling. Can't you just, like, text me?


ROBBY

I don't know how to do all that texting, and tweeting, and Your Face, and My Face, and all that stuff.


Rico, behind the counter, starts listening in on the conversation.


JACKSON

Then can't you just learn? I mean, I-I don't need you calling me to rag on me whenever I forget to replace the toilet paper, or I don't make my bed, or I...


Rico puts the microphone in front of Jackson and his voice is projected so the whole beach can hear.


JACKSON (CONT'D)

...Don't take my dinosaur vitamin.


The groups on the beach laugh at Jackson. Embarrassed, he takes the microphone of his own accord, trying to justify what he has just said.


JACKSON (through microphone)

Uh, they're chewable, and have one-percent real fruit juice, so...


As Jackson puts the microphone down, Chelsea walks over.


CHELSEA

I'm sorry. I usually get paid for babysitting.


She grabs her hat and sunglasses from the counter before walking off. Jackson goes to follow her, but stops in his tracks when he is unable to think of the words. Jackson's phone beeps – he's just received a text message. He reaches into his pocket and reads it out.


JACKSON (reading the text message)

Replace the dang T.P, smiley-face, smiley-face.


Jackson looks over at the counter, where Rico is showing Robby how to send a text message.


RICO

I taught him how to do the smiley face.


Rico laughs. Jackson smirks with annoyance.


***


Kyle is sitting in the recording studio rehearsing.


KYLE (goat voice)

I may be an old goat, but I don't feel...


Hannah enters the booth in a giant suck suit, flapping her arms up and down as she quacks.


HANNAH

Quack! Quack!


KYLE (surprised)

Whoa.


HANNAH

Quack! Quack! Quack!


Kyle approaches Hannah.


KYLE

Wow. When you commit to something, you don't mess around.


HANNAH

Yeah, well anything to get this voice right. It's just...(coldly)...uh, I didn't know this was going to give me such a nasty feather wedgie.


Hannah does what she has to do. Baz walks in carrying a folder.


BAZ

Sorry I'm late everybody, the whole lobby's talking about some whacky girl dressed in a (spots Hannah in her duck suit and changes the subject) H-hey! There she is. Hannah.


HANNAH

Yeah, well this is the kind of commitment you get when you hire Hannah Montana. Just you wait, Triple B. Wait till you hear that duck voice explode out of me.


BAZ

You know what? I'm excited. I love it. Let's do it, let's quack and roll. Okay.


The three of them go to their respective seats.


BAZ

Kyle, why don't you kick us off from the goat? And, go.


KYLE (goat voice)

She's trying to earn some power? Tell her to clean out my stall!


HANNAH (normal voice)

You can do it, Dinah! You can...(realizes she is speaking in a normal voice)...oh, boy.


BAZ

I'm sorry. Mmmmmm. Isn't that the same voice?


HANNAH

Well, yes. But see, uh, I just wanna' show you how-how far I've come. So just wait. This voice is about to explode right out of me. Right now. Here we go!


Hannah clears her throat.


HANNAH (sing-song voice; as if singing a musical scale)

Quack-quack-quack-quack. Whoaaaa!


Hannah gets ready for her big performance –


HANNAH (normal voice still)

You can do it, Dinah! (pause, realizes she is speaking in her normal voice) You can fly! ...(looks down) Oh, cheese and quackers.


Baz jumps up from his seat.


BAZ

Okay, I'm thinking. And this is just out-loud. (to Hannah) You need a little more practice.


HANNAH

And I'm thinking that you need a different duck. I just think it would be better for everyone if I just quit.


Hannah goes for the door.


BAZ (panics)

Okay. Whoa-whoa-whoa. H-H-Hannah, honey, hold on. Hold on. Let's just think about this.


HANNAH (interrupting)

There's nothing to think about. You obviously need someone who can walk the walk. Or, you know, waddle-the-waddle. And, I'm just not your girl. So please let me leave here while I still have my dignity.


Hannah heads out, grunting as she reaches to her behinds and detangles herself from a wedgie.


***


Lilly is sitting beside Miley at the piano.


MILEY

Why couldn't I do it? I've never quit anything before. I can't believe this! I've never been this bad at anything.


Lilly puts a comforting arm around Miley's shoulder.


LILLY

Oh, come on. Of course you have. I mean, remember soccer? And volleyball? And...oh, they're still talking about that time you got stuck climbing the rope at gym class. (mocking Miley's screams) Somebody call the fire department! Somebody call the fire department!


MILEY

It was scary.


LILLY (shows the length with her finger)

You were this far off the ground.


MILEY

And you came to comfort me. Now, please do your job.


Lilly places her arm around Miley's shoulder again. Miley leans on Lilly's shoulder.


LILLY (soothing voice)

Poor Miley.


MILEY

Better.


On top of the piano, Miley's mobile beeps – she's just received a text message. She takes the phone and reads it.


MILEY (after reading the message)

When did dad learn to text? (about her dad's message) How go d duck? Bet you great?!


Robby walks in through the front door with a smile on his face.


ROBBY

Hey. Did you get my text? Did you see how I spelled great? G, R, number eight!


Miley and Lilly exchange a glance. That's old news.


ROBBY

Did you know you could do that? It works with other words, too. Like fascinate. Exfoliate.


MILEY

Irritate.


ROBBY

Well, WYPB.


Lilly and Miley look confused.


ROBBY

That's: what's your prob, Bob? I added the Bob part.


LILLY

I like that.


ROBBY (walking past)

Whoa! T-Y, Lilly!


LILLY

Yeah!


Robby gives Lilly a high five in passing for upstairs.


ROBBY

That's thank you.


MILEY (seriously)

Daddy, I quit the movie.


Miley jumps and heads out to the deck.


ROBBY (after Miley)

What?


Robby follows Miley outside.


ROBBY

You quit?


MILEY

I had to! I was horrible.


Robby sits down opposite Miley.


ROBBY

Well, at least you can look yourself in the mirror and know that you gave it your very best shot.


MILEY

Yes I can.


ROBBY

You must've worked on that thing for, like, a whole twenty-four hours.


Robby takes out a pencil and starts putting down some calculations on a piece of a paper.


ROBBY

Uh, minus the trip to the mall...meals...sleep...(doing a sum), carry the one...(looks up at Miley) You slaved over that voice for an hour and twenty-eight minutes. I'm exhausted just adding it up.


Lilly calls from inside.


LILLY (VO)

You forgot the Saturday stach-wax!


ROBBY

Oh, thank you! (after putting something down on the paper again) Well, that takes it down to a good fifty-five-fifty-six minutes you put into it.


MILEY

Daddy, please. I don't need this right now.


ROBBY

Hey, fine. I'm not gonna' sit here and rattle off some big speech or anything.


He turns around and unbeknownst to Miley, takes out his mobile and starts texting.


MILEY

Thank you.


Seconds later, Miley's mobile beeps – she's got another text. She reads it and waves the phone in Robby's face.


MILEY

Oh, yeah. So much for not giving me a big speech. (reads the message and speaks in a guilty voice) But you're right. I didn't give it my best shot.


Miley's phone receives another message. She reads it quickly.


MILEY (guiltily)

And I really should ask for a second chance.


ROBBY (as he texts)

Good. Number four. Letter U.


MILEY (after receiving the message)

Dad, I'm right here.


ROBBY

Oh, come on, but it's just so dang much fun!


They both look down at their phones.


***


At school, the bell goes as Miley and Lilly come out of class into the corridor together. Miley is holding a raisin box.


MILEY

What about this voice? (projecting through the raisin box) You can do it, Dinah! You can...


Before Miley can finish her sentence, she removes the box from against her lip as she takes a deep breath – something just flew down her throat.


MILEY

Raisin.


Miley coughs. The principal comes walking along with a cup of coffee. He has a cold, and sounds like a duck himself.


PRINCIPAL

Why can't the principal stay home sick? Urgh, my head is more stuffed than the original (???). There were six of them, you know?


Miley finally spits out what she has been coughing on – and the raisin goes flying straight into the principal's coffee. He goes to drink it, none the wiser.


LILLY

Walk away, walk away, walk away!


Miley and Lilly vanish down the hallway.


***


Miley and Lilly are standing beside the water bubbler in the cafeteria.


MILEY

Okay, what do you think about this?


Miley leans over and fills her mouth with water. She steps back and gargles as she speaks.


MILEY (gargling)

You can do it, Dinah! You can fly!


The principal is walking past again. The water comes spraying out of Miley's mouth and right onto the principal. Lilly gasps.


LILLY

Walk away! Walk away! Walk away!


Before he can turn around, Miley and Lilly run off in the opposite direction. When the girls are gone, he feels behind his head and realizes he is wet.


PRINCIPAL

Oh no, I'm getting clammy. This can't be good. This can't be good.


He walks of clutching his head.


***


Miley and Lilly are standing in the locker hallway, at Miley's locker.


MILEY

Why can't I do this? (to the heavens) Please help me. Send me a sign.


A student comes running down the hallway past Miley and Lilly, followed by an angry principal, struggling to compete with his cold.


PRINCIPAL (calling after the student)

How many times must I tell you no running in the hall?


The principal blows his nose. Miley realizes this is all she has to do to sound like a duck.


MILEY (to the heavens)

Thank you!


The principal looks at what he has blown onto his handkerchief.


PRINCIPAL

Ah!


Miley walks over and starts mocking him.


MILEY

Ah!


PRINCIPAL

Ah?


MILEY

Ah!


PRINCIPAL

Oh!


MILEY

Oh?


PRINCIPAL

Ah!


MILEY

Ah!


PRINCIPAL

Are you making fun of me?


MILEY (mocking the principals' voice)

Are you making fun of me?


PRINCIPAL

You are making fun of me!


MILEY

You are making fun of me!


Lilly rushes to Miley's side.


LILLY (to the principal)

Uh, she had the mystery meat for lunch and, uh, hasn't been quite right since. Huh! (leading Miley away) Walk away, walk away, walk away.


As Lilly pushes Miley down the corridor, Miley looks back at the principal.


***


Jackson walks down onto the beach beside yet another cute girl. Déjà vu.


JACKSON

That's right. I'm a College man.


ANDREA

Really?


JACKSON

Yep.


They walk over to a table and sit down.


JACKSON

Studying at the (accented) university. That's U, N, I, V...(pause; he's forgotten how to spell again)...ersity!


***


Back home in the kitchen, Robby is standing at the fridge texting Jackson.


ROBBY (as he texts)

Jackson, when letter R letter U home?


He closes his phone and opens the fridge.


***


Back at the beach, Jackson's phone beeps in his pocket – he's received a message.


JACKSON (taking his phone out)

Um, excuse me, I'm...getting another text.


Jackson turns away and texts back. He turns to Andrea.


***


Robby is looking through the fridge when his phone beeps. He reads Jackson's message and replies:


ROBBY (as he texts)

Perfect. Pick up some eggs.


***


Jackson is chatting up Andrea.


JACKSON (about himself)

Independent, don't answer to --


Before he can finish, his phone beeps again.


JACKSON (annoyed at the timing)

--- Anyone. Just hold that thought.


Jackson takes his phone from the table and turns away.


JACKSON (as he texts)

K.


He slides his phone down and puts it back on the table.


***


Back at home, Robby is just receiving Jackson's reply.


ROBBY (as he texts a response)

Plus some grated cheese.


***


Jackson's phone beeps again. He smiles at the girl and turns back with his phone to reply.


JACKSON (as he texts)

You hate grated cheese.


He slides his phone back down.


***


Robby gets Jackson's message and starts replying.


ROBBY (as he texts)

But I like to type grated cheese.


***


Jackson gets another message. He gets his phone again, violently this time, grunting with frustration as he turns away.


ANDREA

You are so not worth this.


Andrea gets up and walks away. Jackson stands up and calls after her.


JACKSON (calling after)

N-no, come on! I just...(he gets another message and reads it)...ENOUGH ALREADY!


Jackson dials in his dad's number and raises the mobile to his ears. Robby answers on the other end. As such, the conversation view changes to and from correspondingly.


ROBBY (answering the phone)

Y'hello?


JACKSON

You are out of control, mister! (slants the phone and then raises it to his ears again) Look, this morning you texted me "going running". Then it was "I am texting, plus I'm running". Then it was "I fell down". Then it was "Don't worry, I am smiley face". (pointing at his face) Well this is not a smiley face!


On the other end, Robby shakes his head.


JACKSON

I'm pointing at my face! Look, dad, I promise, from now on, I'll answer your phone calls. Just stop texting me! I've learned my lesson.


Jackson hangs up. It cuts completely to Robby in the kitchen.


ROBBY (to himself)

Now why does that boy always think I'm trying to teach him a lesson? I just like texting.


Robby gets his phone back up and starts texting.


ROBBY (as he texts)

Hi mom, how are you? I like gr-at-ed cheese.


He walks off.


***


At the animation studio, Hannah, Kyle and Baz are all at their respective seats again. Hannah is reading her line. And, no, she's not dressed as a duck. Nor does she sound like one.


HANNAH (TRYING to sound like a duck)

You can do it, Dinah! You can fly! You can fly! (flapping her arms) Look at me! I'm flying! I'm flying! (normal voice) And, see.


BAZ

Whoa! Yes, yes, yes! A million times better!


Baz walks over clapping, and knuckles Hannah.


HANNAH

Thank you. I knew if I tried my best I could do it.


BAZ

And you did. Unfortunately, your best – still not good.


Hannah follows Baz to the corner.


HANNAH

Wait, what? I thought you said that I was a million times better.


BAZ

True, true, true, true. But, from where you started, a million times better is still (takes a deep breath), how do I say this? Eehhh.


HANNAH (looking over at Kyle)
You liked it, right Kyle?

KYLE (unsure what to say)

Well, I...um...


Kyle turns his face the opposite away and does an impersonation of his mother's voice.


KYLE (pretending to be someone else)

Kyle, mom wants you out here right now! (turns back with a normal voice) Sorry, gotta' go. (heading for the door) Mom, coming!


Kyle leaves.


BAZ

Okay, so, Hannah. Again, real joy working with you. And of course, I say that with a whole lot of...


HANNAH (interrupting)

Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa. This is not the way that it's supposed to happen. See, at first I think I'm good, then I find out from you I'm bad. Then I try to give up, listen to my daddy's advice and work really-really hard, knock it out of the park, and then I thank you at the academy awards.


BAZ

Is your park in the structure?


HANNAH

Yeah.


BAZ

Okay. (???)'s gonna validate you on the way out.


HANNAH

You know what? You may think that I'm walking out of here a loser, but I'm not. I am the winner, because I tried my best. And that's all you can do in this crazy, mixed up world. And you know what? Maybe I didn't get this shot, but I'll get the next one. And if I don't, I'll get the next one after that. Because Hannah Montana does not quit! Good day, Triple B.


Hannah storms out of the room, only to desperately re-enter seconds later.


HANNAH (walking back in)

Oh, come on! Seriously. This is where you hear my heartfelt speech, give me another chance (as if trying to tantalise) then I thank you at the academy awards.


BAZ

Wow, yes. You know what? That's great. And this is when I say (pointing out) they lock the structure at five.


HANNAH (pretending to be upset)

I just wanna make kids laugh.


BAZ (calling)

Okay, can I get security?


HANNAH

I'm going to park!


BAZ

Okay.


Hannah races out.


***


Lilly approaches Rico, who is standing behind the counter at the beach.


LILLY

Hey Rico, I'll take a fruit smoothie.


RICO

All right. (handing Lilly a buzzer) You'll feel this buzzing when it's ready.


LILLY (looking at the device)

Is this one of those pagers that vibrates? What happened to the microphone?


RICO

That didn't work. I'd call people, they'd ignore me. I'd yell and it would ruin the (???) quality of the Rico's dining experience. This is much more affective.


LILLY (whispering in disbelief)

Okay.


As she walks away, Rico hits his hand down on the tuner and the buzzer in Lilly's pocket goes mad with vibration. Lilly jigs around as a result. She gets it out of her pocket and it goes flying. Rico laughs.


LILLY (pointing after the buzzer)

That's a little strong, don't you think?


RICO (dark)

I'd like to see them ignore me now.


Rico violently hits down on the tuner and another girl gets up from her seat and starts dancing around as a result of the vibrating buzzer. She is followed by the boy beside her, followed by the other half of the beach.


RICO (as he hits the buttons, watching everyone dance)

Dance, monkey's, dance! Mwahahahahahahaha!


He continues to hit the buttons and watch his customers dance.


***


Hannah Montana © Walt Disney. No infringement intended.

No comments: